Awards Event Manager
Apps for Good provides free creative technology course materials for teachers to use in their classrooms. The materials are free; teachers download the pre-packaged resources, and use them to help students aged 10-19 use apps, internet of things and machine learning to create products that solve the problems they care about.
Every year in June, we host an Awards day which celebrate the amazing achievements of Apps for Good students from across the UK. Students who have completed an Apps for Good course come together in teams to submit their app, Internet of Things or machine learning products to compete in the national Awards
The best ideas are selected by our Judges, and the student teams are then invited to London to our Awards day where they’ll pitch to a panel of VIP Dragons and showcase their ideas in a vibrant tech marketplace. Watch our video from last year to get an idea.
We’re looking for an awesome Freelance Events Manager to take charge and help us deliver this year’s Apps for Good Awards. This role is perfect for a collaborative ‘get things done’ kind of person.
We are a small and tight-knit team, and we all care a lot about Apps for Good. The Awards day is a culmination of everything we do, so you will have the full support of our entire team. Right now we have 12 colleagues (10 in office, 2 remote) working across different areas (sponsor account management, teacher and volunteer community management, website and UX). We’ve also secured a freelance designer, who you’ll work closely with. We have our offices in Shoreditch and also support flexible working.
You’ll be the go-to person for event logistics. This is an event we’ve run every year since 2014, so many elements are very straightforward. However, this is our flagship event, and pulling it off involves the coordination of our sponsors, teachers, students, volunteers, venue partners, colleagues, designers, web developers… and more. So, we’re looking for a highly organised, highly collaborative and experienced person.
Scope of Work: Planning and managing a successful delivery of the 2019 Apps for Good Awards, including post event follow up:
2 days per week in April from start date
4 days per week in May
5 days per week up until Thursday 20th June 2019
This year, the event will take place on 18 June at Skills Matter.
- At least 2 years events management experience involving complex events
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience of managing social media channels
- Collaborative and flexible approach and strong interpersonal skills to work across the entire Apps for Good team
- Strong organisational skills and attention to detail
- Proactive & creative approach
- Experience managing budgets and overseeing external suppliers/contractors
- Experience producing marketing and communications assets
- Interest in education and technology - Desirable
- Experience working with young people and/or schools - Desirable
- Experience liaising with corporate partners and sponsors - Desirable
- Manage all event planning and logistics
- Manage the development and production of event marketing assets, PR and communications
- Oversee event set up, delivery and tear down, including managing AfG team, student volunteers and our designer
- Manage suppliers and external contractors, such as design agency and photographers
- Oversee event budget
- Support communications with participating schools
- Flexible working
- Contract Rate - £7000